Friday, May 28, 2010

A bottle of Champagne and and a drink of Jameson

A boat Christening;

Allez! was launched today here at Eldean Shipyard in Holland Michigan. Except for a fairily hair raising docking under tow with 15 knot winds (The Santana 25 is VERY easily driven), things went exceptionally well. The dock line situation here is quite different than in Minnesota; instead of cleats on the dock there are poles that you hitch your boat to. No bumpers required, so no scratches in the still curing paint. I am at the end of a very long dock about a half of a mile away from Lake Michigan. My neighbor boat is a 69 foot Pershing motor yacht. I guess I'm in good company. The boat was Christened at 1AM, with a bottle of exceptionally cheap Champagne (sparkling white wine) with myself as the only witness. It's been an exceptional transformation from the sad and neglected "Alacrity" to "Allez!". I've put my heart and soul into this boat, and I hope she will provide safe passage for future adventures in return.

A Eulogy of sorts;

A new chapter in my life started today, but the final page was finished for a treasured member of my family. The O'Donnell's place on Lake St. Croix Beach was where I spent a good chunk of my childhood. Back then it was all about the water, and that has always stuck with me. There were endless days of sailing, hanging out on the pontoon and swimming at the beach with my cousins. Dave and the rest of the adult contingent would typically be seen at the kitchen table chatting and drinking a few (or more) beers. The river was an amazing place and Dave was the master of his environment. Tales of docks gone missing, close encounters with the authorities and anything generally river related were the staple of our discussions. My last conversation with him was about his son in law falling in the drink while putting the spring docks in this year. This was as things should be. Dave was the race judge for the Saint Croix Sailing Club for 25+ years. In tribute the club sailed past the O'Donnell's at dusk last night. A fitting commemoration which I would've loved to see. The Croix' won't be the same without my uncle.

So a slug of Jameson for a father, an uncle, and a boatman.

I'm setting my course for the East and on the same day, my uncle set his course for the West. Fair winds and following seas, Dave, you shall be missed.

1 comment: