Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lake Michigan, Self Steering, Genoa.

Woke up and discovered that somebody tried to steal my crappy 50 dollar Yakima rack off the trunk of my car. Ghetto dock indeed.Dave the drunk asked if I had tie-downs in my car so I could help him move a couch he spotted to his boat. How one can make a couch fit on a 23 foot boat is beyond me, I can barely fit my bare essentials onto a 25 footer. Waited out a morning storm, and pulled out of the slip around noon. It was an easy sail up to the harbor entrance and I decided to sail through the breakwater with power, even if it appeared to be an easy reach through to the lake. I was happy I did this, as the winds through the channel went a bit crazy. Experience duly noted. It was a bit intimidating to be out on the lake, but it was a nice easy day with steady 10 knot winds. What I noticed the most was the color change of the water leaving the river and on to the lake - muddy brown changes to a brilliant dark greenish blue.

after sailing on the lake for a bit, I felt a bit hungry so I decided to rig up some self steering gear. I found that if I rigged a bungee from the weather side of the boat to the headsail cleat,a normal lashing to the lee rail and a messenger line from the tail end of the mainsheet to the middle of the lashing Allez! would sail herself very nicely. The development of the self steering system will be a point of constant discussion on the blog from now on, but it's VERY encouraging to see Allez! so willing to take direction.

Feeling a bit adventurous and with the wind steady at about 10 knots, Allez! was begging for more sail. The first headsail change on open water was a bit unnerving but it went off without a hitch. The headfoil fore-stay allows you to raise two headsails at once during a change, but I opted to drop the jib and then raise the genoa after switching the sheets over. I think to do the change correctly with 2 sails up at once would require 2 sets of sheets (which I have), and 2 sets of snatch blocks (which I don't have). It was interesting to work on the foredeck with a harness and jackline. It's a bit difficult to navigate around when you're attached to the boat but it's nice being clipped in on such a big piece of water.

More to come, enjoy the crappy cell phone videos.


No comments:

Post a Comment